Some people are big on creative visualization. Athletes and artists come to mind. I think the way it works is you hold a thought in your mind and attempt to attract success with mind power. Well, I woke up this morning visualizing bread. I visualized a soft, pliable dough formed into a lovely loaf that would rise to perfection. I imagined the sweet, yeasty smell that would permeate the house. I began salivating dreaming of a luscious, gluten-free bread (is that an oxymoron) I could sink my teeth into.
When it comes to gluten-free baking, let me tell ya, visualization doesn't work. All the visualization and the studying of the recipe I had done the night before were in vain.
I think every gluten-free chef/baker yearns to find that recipe that produces a stunning loaf of gluten-free bread. Well, this recipe was not the one. Now, I could have made an error in the process so I am not going to say which recipe I followed, but my friend Carrie at Ginger Lemon Girl had the exact same experience with the exact same recipe. Needless to say, we both were let down.
On that note, I will tell you that I am making it a mission to find a gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free bread recipe that produces results and isn't overly complicated. I have some in mind to try. If you've tried them, please let me know by leaving a comment. If you have other recipes to add to this list, leave a comment and tell me where to find them and I will add them to this post/bread recipe round-up. Here are ones I plan to try:
- Shauna and Daniel Ahern's bread recipe in their new book Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef. This book was just released and already as many, many rave reviews on Amazon!
- Dr. Jean Layton's Basic Gluten Free Sourdough Bread Recipe. Jean put in a lot of time on this one.
- Karina's Delicious Gluten Free Bread Recipe. Karina truly is a talented gluten-free goddess!
- This one was recommended by Michelle O. Find it at Gluten Free Mommy.
- Carrie at Ginger Lemon Girl has a vegan recipe I am dying to try. (coming 9-28-10)
As I take on this personal challenge, yeah I will do some visualization, but a whole lot of prayer won't hurt either! Wish me luck.