Since HH (Honorable Husband) created this dish—one of my new favorites—he gets to write the introduction. So here goes...
Alexa wasn't home one evening to make dinner for us troops so the privilege fell on my shoulders. While necessity may be the mother of invention, this one was based upon availability; pasta in the pantry, kale in the crisper, bacon in the freezer and sunflower seeds on the shelf. That is it, no long intro for me! Hope you enjoy.
Dad's Bacon and Kale Pasta
Gluten-Free | Casein-Free | Citrus-Free | Corn-Free | Dairy-Free | Egg-Free | Fish-Free | Nightshade-Free | Peanut-Free | Potato-Free | Shellfish-Free | Soy-Free | Tree Nut-Free | Wheat-Free | Sesame-Free | Yeast-free | GFCF
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
2 cups Tinkyada brown rice penne PASTA
1 package gluten-free BACON (around 12-ounces), chopped (we like Applegate)
2 packed cups chopped KALE
2 tablespoons WATER
1/4 cup raw SUNFLOWER SEEDS (roasted will do if that's what you have on hand)
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain, rinse, set aside.
- In large frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon, drain, set aside.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of bacon fat and set aside. Discard remaining fat.
- Sauté kale with water (just enough to soften kale).
- Add bacon, pasta, and sunflower seeds to sauteed kale. Toss to combine and heat through.
- Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and give it one final toss.
A Good Laugh
Well, my husband had one anyway when Lexie's Kitchen was contacted by First for Women magazine asking to feature HIS recipe in their November 12, 2012 issue. I mean, hello, it's MY blog and HIS recipe gets selected? Ha! Okay ... just don't tell him, but I was pretty tickled and am grateful for a husband who has skills in the kitchen.