Sometimes the body needs a little nutritional boost. Signs that I need extra calcium and magnesium are fatigue, tight traps and a nervous, restless feeling. When I feel completely exhausted it's time for adrenal support. Nutritional supplements can be powerful and I use them on an as-needed basis—listening carefully to what my body is asking for.
When I do supplement, one brand I use is Pure Encapsulations. Hypo-allergenic supplements (which this brand is) are necessary for my Little Man. He takes Pure Encapsulations' Acetyl-L-Carnitine. As for me, the last few weeks have been a wee bit stressful and so I have been supplementing my smoothies with a Pure Encapsulations PureLean® Protein Blend.
I am super picky about protein powders and this is why I like PureLean®:
- One scoop gives me 15 grams vegetarian protein (from a rice, pea and chia seed).
- Includes an antioxidant blend of acerola, camu camu, quercetin, açai, mangosteen and green coffee concentrate.
- Offers a vitamin and minerals boost that's balanced for optimal absorption and metabolism.
- It comes in two flavors; vanilla and chocolate!
This month Pure Encapsulations reached out and asked me to create a smoothie recipe using my favorite PureLean® Protein Blend Vanilla Bean Flavor with Stevia in exchange for a product sample and the chance to win a VitaMix blender. Of course I was game and knew that I had to bring out the big guns—lovely spaghetti squash.
Yep, cooked spaghetti squash is one of my secret smoothie ingredients. This wonder adds bulk to my smoothies without adding a lot of calories. I use it in this PureLean® Mango Madness Smoothie as well as in my Squashberry Smoothie. Once a week I will cook up two or three spaghetti squash. Half I serve for dinner topped with bolognese sauce and the other half I freeze, smashed flat, in a zip top bag for smoothies. The beauty of using this squash in smoothies is that it's neutral in color so blends well with reds, greens, and of course oranges!
If you're not keen on stevia, other varieties of PureLean are sweetened with evaporated cane sugar.
PureLean® Mango Madness Smoothie
1 cup fresh or frozen mango chunks
1 cup cooked spaghetti squash (my favorite cooking method)
1 cup nondairy milk of choice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 scoop PureLean® Protein Blend Vanilla Bean Flavor with Stevia
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to the container of a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth.
- If using fresh mango and unfrozen squash, add 2 cups of ice for added frostiness!
- Serves one.